- Produce, develop and retain more high-quality players than our competitors in order to create pressure in the pipeline.
- Identify and develop future professional rugby players for Gwent.
Within this purpose are the following processes:
- Accurate succession planning (long term approach)
- Identify potential and not just talent
- Developing individuals within teams
The Dragons Academy has a tradition of producing talented players for the Dragons with a large number of the current first-team squad having come through the Academy system.
The role of the Dragons Academy is to identify and develop talented young athletes from age 15 to 23 years of age by developing them through a Performance Development Programme.
This programme is tailored towards the needs of the individual to ensure that the player can reach their maximum potential.
The Academy delivers services across the following areas:
- Technical and tactical development
- Player game reviews
- Understanding the future professional game
- Learning how to train as a pro
- Developing the Dragons Values of Hard Work, High Expectations, Honesty and Humility
- Sports Psychology
- Lifestyle development
- Strength and conditioning
- Nutrition and eating for performance
- Speed and agility
- Injury prevention and management
All Academy players are encouraged to continue their education in various avenues throughout their Academy programme to allow them to develop both as rugby players and as individuals.
ROLL OF HONOUR
These are some of the players that have made their way through the Dragons Academy and played a prominent role in the region in recent years:
- Aaron Wainwright (Wales)
- Leon Brown (Wales U20s,Wales)
- Tyler Morgan (Wales U18s, U20s, Wales)
- James Benjamin (Wales U18s, U20s, Sevens)
- Ashton Hewitt (Wales U18s, U20s)
- Jack Dixon (Wales U18s, U20s)
- Elliot Dee (Wales U18s, U20s, Wales)
- Ollie Griffiths (Wales U18s, U20s, Wales)
- Hallam Amos (Wales U18s, Wales)
- Toby Faletau (Wales U20s, Wales)
- Dan Lydiate (Wales U20s, Wales)
- Lewis Evans (Wales U20s captain)
- Jason Tovey (Wales U18s, U20s)