The successful community projects at Rodney Parade have been fully embraced by the Dragons. The impact of the regional structure is that the community activities have expanded to incorporate more schools, more clubs and new initiatives.
The projects have progressed and continue to develop links with educational organisations and the local community, which includes schools, local clubs, businesses and the youngsters of our region.
We are also proud to be a Dementia Friendly Region having been awarded the Alzheimer’s Society Kitemark in 2017.
We have a comprehensive package of community activities as highlighted below.
COMMUNITY INITIATIVES: Sport, Education & Community Activation
• The Gateway Rugby Project: A primary school sporting and social development programme
• The Second Half Project: Stadium Tour and Education experience
• Value Added Education – iValue Dragons Digital Education days to include ibeacons stadium tour
• Foundation Degree: Rugby Coaching & Development - USW/Dragons/WRU Partnership
• Participation to Pro – Opportunity to watch Dragons train at CCB Centre for Sporting Excellence, Ystrad Mynach training base
• Region on the Road – Community support of festivals, school sessions, careers fayres, club recruitment days and special events
• Rodney on the Road – Dragons mascot special visits to schools, clubs & community events
• Annual Dragons Community Tag Rugby Festivals
• Rugby Inspires Program: Alternative learning for excluded & disadvantaged groups
• Inclusion Provision – Homeless Rugby, Disability, Deaf, SRtRC, Mixed Ability, BME Engagement, Women & Girls Cluster Rugby support
• Alternative Provision - Cage Rugby & Dragons Passing inflatable to inspire our young rugby enthusiasts.
• Tackle Project: Collaborative community rugby and Secondary education programme for disadvantaged young people in Wales.
• Work Experience Programme: In partnership with Secondary schools across the Region.
• Holiday Rugby Skills Development Camps – 6 to 14 years to include Pro camps
• Gift of Dragons Rugby - Community Ticketing Scheme: Rugby4All
• Dragons Match Day Experience: Guard of honour, official mascot, official community guests, pitch parades, lap of honours, entertainment & family zone activation
• Judgement Day Activation with our regional mini & junior clubs
• Dragons Match Day Collections: Supporting local & national charities
• Welsh Language support through collaborative work with local agencies
• Community ambassador scheme: Matchday volunteering opportunities
• SPICE partnership to support volunteers through time credits at Dragons matches
• Community/Partners matchday competitions
The community department would like to thank the following organisations, companies and agencies for their support of the community projects; we could not maintain our high standards without this contribution:
SPONSORS / PARTNERS
SPICE - Time Credits
Torfaen Leisure Trust