page stock image
adverts pointer icon

The RaboDirect PRO12 season started with a bang as a change in management was made just before the season started. Highly experienced Lyn Jones came in to take on the role of director of rugby, he then brought in close ally Kingsley Jones on a part time basis.

For the first game of the season the Dragons took on strong Irish outfit Ulster and beat them at Rodney Parade, 15-8. But then went on to suffer a narrow loss away from home to Edinburgh Rugby. Next up was their first welsh derby of the season and they were determined to come away with a win at home. With the stadium almost full to the rafters, Andrew Coombs led the men of Gwent to a fantastic win. Unfortunately this feeling wasn’t meant to last as they travelled across to Cork to take on Munster and lost. Both Andrew Coombs and Jevon Groves received yellow cards that evening as the Dragons suffered a loss of 9-23.

After the tricky matches away from home for the Dragons they had two games in succession at Rodney Parade. The first was against Zebre in the PRO12 where the Dragons had an absolute blinder of a game, as man of the match Hallam Amos scored two tries, with Lewis Evans adding another whilst Tovey further extended the lead with three penalties and three conversions. They then went on to play their first game in the Amlin Challenge Cup which was against Mogliano and the Dragons once again came away with the win with a 50-8 point lead. But these wins were short lived as they travelled across the border to Bath only to be defeated at the Rec.

Coming back into the RaboDirect PRO12 the Dragons travelled to the Liberty Stadium to face the Ospreys. Unfortunately the Ospreys came away with the win this time. That result was followed by another disappointing 19-23 loss against Leinster where the Dragons again felt they should’ve got a better result.

Next up was their first LV=Cup game of the season, which was against the Scarlets at Parc-Y-Scarlets only to suffer their third loss in succession. The region managed to turn this losing streak around when they played against London Wasps back at Rodney Parade in their second LV=Cup game of the season.

It was just a six day turnaround for the next game which was a RaboDirect PRO12 match against Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun Stadium. The Dragons came away with a fantastic win beating the Scottish side 23-8. Unfortunately this victory was short lived as the Dragons came home to take on Munster only to be narrowly beaten by the Irish men.

After that close defeat it was back to the Amlin Challenge Cup with back-to-back fixtures against Union Bordeaux-Begels. The first of the two games was at Rodney Parade where the men of Gwent put on a fine performance and came up trumps with a incredible score of 40-24. Only to be defeated by Union Bordeaux-Begels away from home by 12-32.

Just before Christmas the welsh region once again returned to the RaboDirect PRO12 tournament. This time it was to take on Connacht at the Sportsground in Galway. This was a narrow loss for the region as there were just two points in the final score of 14-16. The men of Gwent went on to play back to back home games over the new year period against Cardiff Blues. They managed a win at home and loss away from home. So it was back to the Amlin Challenge Cup and their last two games in quick succession in this league. First up was Bath at home only for the Dragons to lose in front of a home crowd. They then went over to Italy to pay against Mogliano and managed to get that crucial win away from home.

The last two rounds of the LV=Cup saw a game at home and a game away. First up was a home game against Northampton Saints which saw a young side put out for the Dragons with the likes of Luc Jones, James Benjamin and Elliot Dee being included in the starting XV. Unfortunately for the region they came away with a loss only to suffer an even bigger defeat in their match against Newcastle Falcons away from home.

Newport Gwent Dragons had two weeks to recover from the loss and get back into the zone as they travelled to Dublin to take on Leinster but yet again they couldn’t pull the win out of the bag so came away with another defeat.

After three defeats in a row Jones decided to change the team around and use both old and new heads in his match day squad. This worked for Newport Gwent Dragons as a last minute try from Ross Wardle which was converted by Rhys Jones saw them do the double over Glasgow Warriors and win by one point.

Six losses including games against Scarlet and the Ospreys came after this only to be split in the middle by a draw away from home against Zebre. With the last game of the season fast approaching the Dragons needed to end 2013/14 season on a high. The last game of the season was at Rodney Parade and was against Benetton Treviso. Despite two sin bins for Lewis Evans and Will Harries the men of Gwent pulled it out of the bag and gained a win for the last game of the season.

Newport Gwent Dragons finished 9th in the RaboDirect PRO12 and were very competitive in their tough Amlin Challenge Cup Pool.  Whilst not achieving the results they would've hoped for, the Dragons brought through a number of younger players. 

  • Edinburgh at Ebbw
  • How to find us
next game pointer icon

Next Game

Saturday January 27



Allianz Park, Hendon

KO 3:00 PM

adverts pointer icon

Official Sponsors