adverts pointer icon

Match Report

Despite an early lead at Scotstoun Stadium, Newport Gwent Dragons lost out to Glasgow Warriors who had had a number of their International players return from the Scottish Rugby Union.


The Men of Gwent were in the lead with 20 minutes on the clock, after an impressive start, only for the Warriors to secure a maximum bonus point win of 47-17. 

The Dragons conceded an early penalty for holding on, but centre Mark Bennett missed the attempt at goal and the scores remained 0-0 until the 15th minute. Young fly-half Angus O’Brien added three points to the scoreboard thanks to a lively break from centre Sam Beard and some good hands from his fellow team mates.

A chip over the top from Angus O’Brien was soon followed by a try under the sticks from Rynard Landman, and after a little deliberation from referee Andrew Brace and a chat with the TMO the try was awarded. O’Brien converted to see the Dragons lead 10-0 with over 20 minutes on the clock.

 The hosts didn’t take long to respond and after a 5m attacking scrum they broke through the defensive line and Nick Grigg went over for his first try of the evening, followed by a successful conversion from Peter Horne.

Following this try, Nick Grigg went over for another try due to a missed tackle and sustained pressure on the Dragons defence. Horne, once again made no mistake and extended their lead to 14-10.

Half Time: Glasgow Warriors 14 - Newport Gwent Dragons 10

Early on in the second half, Glasgow scored their third try under the posts with a starting break from Rory Hughes in midfield which in turn saw Horne slot the extras. Following this try, only a few minutes later, Peter Horne saw another opportunity chipping the ball over the heads of the Dragons defence for Ratu Tagive to collect and go over for the converted try.

The hosts weren’t finished there however as Lee Jones crossed from close range to see them extend their lead to 33-10.

The opportunities kept coming for Glasgow and an inside ball for Mark Bennett saw him run in their seventh try, and fly-half Peter Horne secured their eighth under the posts.   

But it was the Dragons that had the final say with Tyler Morgan securing a loose ball and Dorian Jones slotting the conversion. 

Full Time: Glasgow Warriors 47- Newport Gwent Dragons 17

Man of the Match: Brian Alainu'uese

Referee: Andrew Brace

Attendance: 7,096

To see a full timeline of this afternoon's match, including points scored and substitutions, please click on the timeline button above the match report.

T C D P Glasgow V Dragons T C D P
Substituted Alex Allan 1 Sam Hobbs Substituted
Substituted Corey Flynn 2 Elliot Dee
Substituted D'Arcy Rae 3 Brok Harris Substituted
Tim Swinson 4 James Thomas Substituted
Brian Alainu’uese 5 Rynard Landman 1
Rob Harley 6 Oliver Griffiths
Substituted Simone Favaro 7 Nic Cudd
Substituted Richie Vernon 8 Lewis Evans (C) Substituted
Substituted (C) Henry Pyrgos 9 Sarel Pretorius Substituted
1 6 Peter Horne 10 Angus O'Brien Substituted 1 1
1 Substituted Rory Hughes 11 Adam Warren Substituted
2 Substituted Nick Grigg 12 Sam Beard
1 Substituted Mark Bennett 13 Tyler Morgan 1
1 Lee Jones 14 Pat Howard
Peter Murchie 15 Tom Prydie
T C D P Replacements T C D P
Substitution Pat MacArthur 16 Rhys Buckley
Substitution Jamie Bhatti 17 Thomas Davies Substitution
Substitution Sila Puafisi 18 Lloyd Fairbrother Substitution
Substitution Scott Cummings 19 Matthew Screech Substitution
Substitution Chris Fusaro 20 Harrison Keddie Substitution
Substitution Nemia Kenatale Ranuku 21 Charlie Davies Substitution
Substitution Brandon Thomson 22 Dorian Jones Substitution 1
1 Substitution Ratu Tagive 23 Will Talbot-Davies Substitution

Head to Head Statistics

Glasgow       Dragons

Glasgow Warriors
  • Dragons Wine Club
  • JDVII small
  • Munster small
next game pointer icon

Next Game

Saturday January 26



Rodney Parade, Newport

KO 3:00 PM

adverts pointer icon

Official Sponsors