adverts pointer icon

Match Report

Newport Gwent Dragons suffered a narrow defeat to Munster Rugby this afternoon at Rodney Parade, with the final score ending on 20 points to Munster to the Dragons 16.


The first points on the board were through the boot of fly-half Tyler Bleyendaal with Munster getting a penalty, however in quick succession the Munster are penalised for being off their feet with a penalty going the Dragons way. Angus O’Brien, who was a late replacement for Nick Macloed due to an ankle injury during warm-up, slots over three points. 

But Munster kept attacking the Dragons defence which in turn created an opportunity for the visitors, as lock Jean Kleyn burst through and made it over the try line. The first try of the match was successfully converted by Munster seeing them take a lead of 10-3 after 20 minutes.

It was Wales International Hallam Amos who crossed on the half an hour mark for the home team. He read the play well as he intercepted a pass from Colm O’Shea on half way which was followed by a sprint to the try-line, with the try being converted by Angus O’Brien.

Referee Dudley Phillips did have to go to the TMO to check a potential try from Munster before the frist half was out. But hooker Rhys Buckley covered it as Phillips deemed Ronan O’Mahony to have knocked on.

Half Time: Newport Gwent Dragons 10 – Munster 10

The Newport Gwent Dragons made a good start to the second half making good ground into the Munster half, but it wasn’t to be as the home side missed their opportunity and were penalised for holding on.

Soon after the Dragons were awarded a penalty, as Munster were penalised for not rolling away. This saw O’Brien kick a successful penalty kick to send the Men of Gwent into a lead of 13-10.

Munster too were awarded a kick at the posts and Bleyendaal made no mistake making the scores all level again 13-13.

The visitors were penalised once again at the breakdown which gave O’Brien another chance to take the lead after 53 minutes. However Muntser were back in front in the 56th minute with Cian Bohane claiming the try, with the conversion from Bleyendaal.

With the clock into red the Dragons made an all or nothing decision with all 15 men into the driving lineout to cross for the try, but the visitors held strong for the final scores to end on Dragons 16 – Munster 20.

Referee: Dudley Phillips

Attendance: 3841

Man of the Match: John Ryan (Munster)

T C D P Dragons V Munster T C D P
Substituted Sam Hobbs 1 James Cronin Substituted
Rhys Buckley 2 Niall Scannell Substituted
Substituted Brok Harris 3 John Ryan
Substituted Nick Crosswell 4 Jean Kleyn Substituted 1
Rynard Landman 5 Donnacha Ryan
(C) Lewis Evans 6 Billy Holland (C)
Substituted Oliver Griffiths 7 Jack O'Donoghue Substituted
Substituted Ed Jackson 8 CJ Stander
Substituted Sarel Pretorius 9 Conor Murray
Angus O'Brien 10 Tyler Bleyendaal 2 2
1 Hallam Amos 11 Ronan O'Mahony
Substituted Jack Dixon 12 Dan Goggin
Tyler Morgan 13 Colm O'Shea Substituted
Pat Howard 14 Darren Sweetnam
Substituted Carl Meyer 15 Andrew Conway Substituted
T C D P Replacements T C D P
Darran Harris 16 Duncan Casey Substitution
Substitution Thomas Davies 17 Dave Kilcoyne Substitution
Substitution Craig Mitchell 18 Brian Scott
Substitution Cory Hill 19 Dave O'Callaghan Substitution
Substitution James Thomas 20 Conor Oliver Substitution
Substitution Charlie Davies 21 Duncan Williams
Substitution Nic Cudd 22 Ian Keatley Substitution
Substitution Adam Warren 23 Cian Bohane Substitution 1

Head to Head Statistics

Dragons       Munster

  • JDVII small
  • Dragons Wine Club
  • Munster small
next game pointer icon

Next Game

Saturday January 26



Rodney Parade, Newport

KO 3:00 PM

adverts pointer icon

Official Sponsors